Whenever Oscar buzz starts going around it’s usually the high profile projects that get talked about first… and that’s understandable to a degree. I actually had a debate with a friend of mine the other day who was INSISTING that if Heath Ledger doesn’t win Best Supporting Actor this year it would be a crime. I gently pointed out that his proposition was absurd since he hasn’t even seen most of the other contending performances yet. For all he knew Ledger’s Joker could end up being the 15th best performance of the year (unlikely, but you get my point).
Anyway, our friend Kris Tapley over at InContention.Com put up a great little post about the performances we haven’t seen yet but that we need to keep our eyes open for that could end up grabbing a lot of Oscar buzz. In his post Kris fleshes out each one so you should go on over and read it… but for now here is the list he gives:
10. Richard Jenkins, “The Visitor”
9. Tobey Maguire, “Brothers”
8. Clint Eastwood, “Gran Torino”
7. Elizabeth Banks, “W.” (I hope he’s right. She deserves more attention)
6. Marisa Tomei, “The Wrestler”
5. Liev Screiber, “Defiance” Damn I can’t wait to see this one)
4. Elsa Zylberstein, “I’ve Loved You So Long”
3. James Franco, “Milk” (He looked fantastic in the trailer)
2. Michelle Williams, “Wendy and Lucy”
1. Michael Shannon, “Revolutionary Road”
Great list. It’s a great reminder that even though we’re coming out of possibly the best summer for movies in my lifetime, the traditionally BEST movies of the year season is still to come. 2008 could end up being on of the best overall movie year in the last decade.