The other day we got Mortal Kombat : Rebirth – a short film/teaser from a director trying to win the studio’s heart and support. The little movie has been an online viral force – in 24 hrs it garnered 1 million plus hits. Most of the online community reaction has been positive on this R-rated, dark take on the franchise.
Today, we get more details on the short film and on director Kevin Tancharoen’s vision for Mortal Kombat. Enjoy…
* They shot the short film over two days on two RED cameras
* Started in early April and it took 2 months to do the post production. Most people donated their time. The short was made for $7,500
* Knew if he was going to get a chance at a genre picture, he’d have to show he could do it on his own. This is a calling card for a chance at making the next Mortal Kombat
feature film and it’s his vision for how he’d do it.
* No one at any studio knew he was doing the short
* Oren Uziel wrote the short. He’s currently listed on IMDb to write the next Mortal Kombat movie at Warner Bros.
* Says he wants to make a movie that balances the real world with the mysticism and the special powers. Compares it to the way Harry Potter exists in two worlds. As in there
are two universes that coexist with each other.
* Confirms “fatalities” are definitely in his movie. He wants to put them in the tournament in an “organic way”
* Definitely would use “get over here” (the classic line from the game)
* Michael Jai White plays Jax Briggs in the short and he’d definitely be a part of the feature.
* Says Scorpion is the bad guy and will stay a bad guy
* They only had 4 hours to shoot the big fight scene
I would give this guy a shot at this. I like his take on the whole thing. If I’m the studio, I would’ve already sat down with him, heard his whole take, and probably already signed him up. I mean, anybody else got a better idea? Anybody else out there doing something about bringing new life to this franchise? No. So, give him the job. I would.
What do you guys think? Do you like his vision for Mortal Kombat?