Film is subjective. Common sense is not. Pirating is stealing. Flat out. Plain and simple. Any justification drivel about it is just pathetic. HOWEVER…
What is even more pathetic is how studios have treated their customers like dirt and pursued them like war criminals. Don’t bloody tell me I can’t back up a DVD I bought and paid for. Or suing little Billy’s family into ruin because Billy downloaded “Dude Where’s My Car”.
To put this into perspective… take Jammie Thomas for example. She didn’t download a movie, but she did download a whopping 24 songs. So about 2 CD’s worth. She got hit with a $2 million dollar fine. TWO MILLION DOLLARS.
Perhaps instead of downloading music or a movie… you should murder someone… because the fine is cheaper. Check this out:
1. Child abduction: the fine is only like $25000.
2. Stealing the actual CD: the fine is $2,500
3. Rob your neighbor: the fine is $375,000
4. Burn a house down: The fine is just over $375,000
5. Stalk someone: The fine is $175,000
6. Start a dogfighting ring: the fine is $50,000
7. Murder someone: The maximum penalty is only $25,000 and 15 years in jail, and depending on your yearly salary, would probably be far slighter a penalty that $2 million.
So somehow the RIAA and MPAA have bought enough government reps that your punishment for wronging them is by far more severe than taking a chid. Yikes!